The BEST recipe for easy double chocolate chaffles are the perfect go-to recipe when you are craving something sweet. These chaffles are perfect for breakfast, or a tasty dessert.
Learn how to make these in only 5 minutes. The perfect sugar-free dessert.
What is a chaffle?
If you are new here you may be wondering “what is a chaffle?â€
Are you ready to create the ultimate 12-month blueprint for reaching your health & weight loss goals this coming year?
Our free on-demand video training will walk you through how to make 2024 THE year you set health goals…and keep them.
A chaffle is a cheesy waffle made from cheese and egg. Chaffles are a brilliant invention because they are a sugar-free, gluten-free, low-carb, fluffy waffle that is incredibly versatile because it doesn’t taste like cheese.
CHAFFLE = Cheese + Waffle
Super easy chaffles are like waffles but instead of regular sugar and flour (making a high-carb disaster), they are made with egg and cheese.
When making sweet chaffles the recipe will use almond flour, sweetener, and vanilla extract to help blend the sweet flavours and masking the cheese. Trust me!
Which waffle maker do you need?
You know I’m all about saving you money when I can, so save your money, because don’t need one of those expensive waffle makers.
Each recipe will make TWO min chaffles or ONE large chaffle.
A mini waffle maker is a perfect size and will allow you to make 2 mini-chaffles for each recipe.
What is in a basic chaffle recipe?
The base recipe is simply 1 egg PLUS 1/2 cup pre-shredded mozzarella.
Each recipe will make two MINI chaffles or 1 LARGE chaffle.
To see the most popular flavours and varieties of chaffles, disocver everything you need to know about how to make keto chaffles.
The Ultimate LOW-CARB Lunchbox Book: This isn’t about doing more, it’s about doing things DIFFERENTLY!! — CLICK HERE
Do chaffles taste cheesy or eggy?
To ensure your chaffles are not cheesy, you need to ensure a) you use mild cheese PLUS b) you flavour your chaffles well.
If in doubt, always add extra flavours or sweeteners to guarantee a sweet chaffle taste. You will absolutely love these double chocolate chaffles, every single kiddo that tries them LOVES them, and they are my biggest critics.
So if these low-carb double chocolate chaffles pass the kiddo test, they’re a winner!
How to make chocolate chaffles
Double chocolate chaffles are quick to throw together and easy to make.
Mozzarella cheese is used and has a mild flavour that blends well with cocoa powder and sweeter. Once the chaffles are cooked, they no longer taste like mozzarella but a delicious chocolate waffle.
How to make chaffle batter
To make the batter, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. The batter is enough to make two chaffles in a mini waffle maker.
Both cocoa powder and sugar-free chocolate chips are used in the batter. This is what makes your chaffles double chocolate.
The batter recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled when cooking for a crowd.
How to use a mini waffle maker
If you have never made a chaffle before, do not worry. Cooking chaffles is very simple.
First, you will want to preheat your mini waffle maker. Preheating your waffle maker is important to ensure your chaffle cooks evenly.
Next, grease the waffle maker with a little olive oil. I like to use spray olive oil. However, if you are using a towel to grease the waffle maker I suggest greasing the waffle maker before preheating it.
How to cook chaffles
Now you are ready to cook your chaffles. Pour half the batter (or a quarter if you doubled the recipe) in the waffle maker. Spread the batter around a bit to make sure the bottom is completely covered.
Close the waffle maker and cook the chaffle for 2-4 minutes. The chaffle will release a lot of steam. When the steam is almost gone, open the waffle maker and check that the chaffle is done. You can always close the waffle maker and cooker the chaffle for a little longer if needed.
Remove the chaffle with a silicone spatula and then cook the second chaffle.
How to serve chaffles
Serve the chaffles with a sprinkling of powdered sweetener and a dollop of whipped cream. These chaffles are rich with flavour and the perfect treat when you are craving something sweet (but you want to stay on track).
Double chocolate chaffles are amazing served with a spoonful of nut butter and a side of fresh berries. Breakfast or dessert your family is sure to love these chaffles.
How to store chaffles
Super easy double chocolate chaffles are perfect for making extras to keep in the freezer. Chocolate chaffles are a SUPERB emergency healthy kid’s lunch box filler. Here’s how to freeze chaffles:
- Let the chaffles to cool completely and all the steam to escape
- In an airtight container place layers of low-carb chaffles with sheets of baking parchment to separate each layer.
- Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost by toasting, frying or microwaving for 10 seconds. Enjoy.
So yes, you can freeze chaffles, but remember, you can make 2 delicious mini low-carb chocolate chip vanilla chaffles in less than 5 minutes.
7 top tips for sugar-free chaffles
- Always mix the egg and cheese well before pouring into your waffle maker
- Make sure you spread the chaffle mixture out evenly into your waffle maker
- If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can use a frying pan
- The longer you cook chaffles, the crispier they become
- You may substitute any mild cheese you wish to in place of pre-shredded mozzarella.
- Always check your pre-shredded mozzarella for additives such as potato or rice starch which is often added to prevent the shredded cheese from clumping. Find a good brand without these additional unnecessary carbs.
Easy Double Chocolate Chaffles Recipe
- Mini Waffle Maker
- Large waffle maker
Double Chocolate Chaffles
- 1 eggs – medium
- 1/2 cup pre-shredded/grated mozzarella
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more to your taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond meal/flour
- 1 tbsp sugar-free chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened) unsweetened
- 1 tsp heavy whipping cream
- Combine the ingredients for your chosen flavour in a bowl.
- Preheat your waffle maker. When it is hot, spray with olive oil and pour half the batter into the mini-waffle maker (or the entire batter into a large waffle maker).
- Cook for 2-4 minutes then remove and repeat. You should be able to make 2 mini-chaffles per recipe or 1 large chaffle.
- Top, serve and enjoy.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!