Almond flour keto donuts (4g net carbs) with a sugar-free chocolate glaze are a quick and easy treat your family will LOVE.
The easy one-bowl recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free, low-carb, and keto-friendly.
Donuts are popular grab-and-go treats that are eaten all year long. In more recent years you’ll find traditional birthday cakes swapped out for donut cakes.
Well, if you are on a keto or low carb diet, may not be so fun to watch everyone eat Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme without you…until now, that is with these sugar-free grain-free donuts!
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Ingredients you need
This keto donut recipe uses simple pantry staples you likely already have on hand or are easy to find in the grocery store.
One ingredient for the donuts recipe you may have trouble finding is a powdered sweetener. You can blend some regular sweetener for several seconds in your food processor or coffee grinder until it is a fine powder.
- almond flour – almond meal or ground almonds will also work.
- heavy cream – if you want to make this a dairy-free donut, you can replace heavy cream with coconut cream.
- baking powder – do not get confused with baking soda.
- sweetener – use your favourite granulated and powdered sugar replacement. The most popular sweeteners are erythritol, xylitol, allulose, and monk fruit sweetener.
- vanilla extract – or vanilla essence.
- cocoa powder – check for added sugars and avoid drinking cocoa.
- eggs – fresh eggs are preferred.
- melted butter – salted butter or unsalted butter will work. Adjust the salt when you taste the donut batter before baking.
- salt – adjust seasoning to your taste. A little extra salt actually helps bring out the sweet flavours.
See the donut recipe card below for quantities.
To make your donuts recipe start by preheating the oven to 180C/350F. While your oven is heating up mix your donut batter together in a large mixing bowl.
STEP 1: Make the cake batter.
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients. Mix gently until all the donut ingredients are well mixed. This will ensure your donuts rise evenly when baking.
STEP 2: Pour and bake.
Once your batter is ready you will want to spoon your donut batter into your prepared donut pan that has been brushed with melted butter or sprayed with oil.
Fill each donut-shaped cup is 3/4 full. This donuts recipe will rise so you don’t want to overfill your donut pans.
Finally, bake your donuts in the oven on the middle rack for 15-17 minutes.
STEP 3: Cool and glaze.
Remove the cooked donuts from the oven. Always allow the donuts to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a wire cooling rack to completely cool before adding the sugar-free chocolate glaze.
While your donuts are cooling you can mix together the ingredients for your chocolate icing (sugar-free chocolate glaze) and dip the top of the cooled donuts into the chocolate icing. Let them rest on a wire cooling rack until the icing sets.
Expert tip: Dip your keto donuts in the icing twice for smoother coverage.
Have an allergy, dietary restriction, or just missing one of the ingredients needed to make these almond flour donuts? Below you find a few recommendations for easy substitutions.
- Cocoa Powder – The cocoa powder in the icing can be completely omitted to make vanilla icing.
- Butter – use melted coconut oil instead of butter.
- Heavy Cream – Coconut cream can be used in place of cream. I would not recommend coconut or almond milk as the fat content is very different.
What flavors of keto donuts can you make? This keto donut recipe is a base almond flour keto donut. It is so easy to dress up and make different variations. You will love all the options!
- Pumpkin Spice – Mix some pumpkin pie spice seasoning into your batter for that tasty fall flavor. Don’t be tempted to add a spoonful of pumpkin puree, it’s not needed and will make the donut mixture too wet.
- Cinnamon sugar – give this keto donut recipe a zesty twist with a coating of cinnamon sugar instead of chocolate icing. Of course, use granulated sweetener instead of sugar to keep carbs low.
- Glazed keto donuts – make a simple glaze instead of icing. Glaze ingredients are simple: powdered sweetener, heavy cream, and pure vanilla extract.
- Chocolate Chip – add a few sugar-free chocolate chips to your batter or into the donut pan before baking.
- White Chocolate Chip – sprinkle in a few sugar-free white chocolate chips to the keto donuts batter.
You will need a donut pan to bake these keto donuts. The batter is much like a cake batter and cannot be formed into a donut shape.
You can easily order a donut pan online that you can use for years to come. They are available in metal, which is what I have, as well as a silicone donut pan.
These donuts were baked in an oven on the center rack. You might find frying your donuts a little difficult because of the batter. However, you can drop scoops of batter into the oil to fry donut holes!
Almond flour keto donuts can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you need to store them longer they will need to be refrigerated.
This low-carb donuts recipe also freezes well! Unfrosted keto donuts can be frozen for up to 6 months. Be sure to tightly wrap them and store them in a zipped freezer bag to prevent frostbite.
The first time I baked these keto donuts I forgot to adjust my oven rack and baked them on the very top slot of my oven. Needless to say, they burnt quickly.
To ensure your donuts bake evenly and golden on the top make sure you bake them using the middle oven rack. Your donuts will turn out perfect!
Enjoy your guilt-free keto donuts!
FAQs about these keto donuts
No, you cannot substitute out coconut flour for almond flour. The way they bake and the properties they have are very different. Trust me, don’t make this mistake – your keto donuts will not turn out well!
These keto donuts are naturally gluten-free, thanks to using almond flour instead of all-purpose.
I formulated this recipe with the use of a regular donut pan. I haven’t tried it with a mini donut maker, but it should work fine. You’ll just need to adjust the cooking time and keep a careful eye so they don’t burn.
No, these low-carb donuts need a real egg to make them rise and be soft and fluffy.
To get the desired consistency of the donuts recipe, add an extra tablespoon of almond flour at a time. If your batter is too dry, add an extra tablespoon of cream (or coconut cream) at a time.
Almond Flour Keto Donuts Recipe (Chocolate Glaze)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Donut Pan
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- ¼ cups granulated sweetener of choice or more to your taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 oz butter melted
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sweetener
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2-4 tbsp water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F and grease your donut pan.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients for your donuts in a bowl. Then add the wet ingredients. Stir until completely combined. You should have donut batter that is a little thicker than cake batter.
- Fill each cup in your donut pan with the batter until they are about 3/4 of the way full. You should be able to fill 6-7 donuts depending on the size of your donut pan. These donuts will rise quite a bit.
- Bake your donuts on the middle rack of your oven for 15-17 minutes. Then remove from the oven and let cool completely before dipping in each donut into the icing to frost. Let the frosted donuts rest on a wire cooling rack until the icing sets then enjoy.
- While your donuts are cooling mix all the icing ingredients together in a bowl. Be sure to add the water to the icing one spoonful at a time until your icing reaches your desired consistency. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!