How do you make a nutritious, low carb, grain free and clean eating snack? This simple recipe for low carb eggplant parmesan bites will be sure to please.
They can be made ahead of time and served as part of a snack tray to accompany drinks, or as an appetiser. These would even be fantastic as a vegetable side dish for a main course. Serve with garlic yoghurt dip or homemade mayonnaise.
Grilled Eggplant With Parmesan
Eggplant or aubergine? I have been writing my recipes for so long now for my American audience, I am starting to forget which terms I used at home.
Whichever name you call this vegetable, it is pretty versatile because it absorbs flavours easily. Buy when in it’s season and cheap. And at only 6g total carbs (3g net) per 100g, it’s a nice change for a snack. In addition, the melted cheese, herbs and parmesan create a crunchy texture too.
Some readers find when they cook eggplant it goes too soft or soggy. I cook it until it has a very slight crunch in the middle. When the eggplant slices go back in the oven with the topping, that last little blast of heat is just enough to cook the eggplant all the way through, but without the risk of becoming too soft.
Low carb eggplant parmesan bites are an easy snack to make, and you could even get your children to sprinkle their own herbs or spices on their slices. You could even treat these like mini pizza bases? I used rosemary, parsley and thyme, but other flavours you might like to try are ::
- lemon and rosemary
- garlic and sundried tomatoes
- chilli flakes
- pepperoni pieces and olives
Fried Eggplant Parmesan Bites
- 1 eggplant/aubergine sliced
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 eggs - medium lightly beaten
Herb and cheese crust
- 25 g almond meal/flour
- 1 tbsp dried herbs of choice I used rosemary and thyme
- 50 g shredded/grated cheese
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- Place the sliced eggplants on an oiled baking tray, sprinkle each slice with salt and pepper.
- Grill (medium) or bake 180C/350F until browned.
- While the eggplants are baking, mix all the herb and cheese crust ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove from the oven and turn each slice over and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Grill until just turning browned and cooked. I like my eggplant to be slightly firm as they can easily turn incredibly soft if cooked for too long and more difficult to hold.
- Remove from the oven.
- Brush the top of each eggplant slice with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with the herb and cheese crust then place back in the oven/grill until the cheese is just melted and beginning to brown.
- Serve with sour cream, salted yoghurt or garlic mayonnaise as a side sauce.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!