It can be ready in 20 minutes, start to finish and we always have ground beef and vegetables in the fridge.
What are zoodles?
So what do we replace dried spaghetti with when we go low carb? Zoodles. What are zoodles? Zoodles are the healthy low-carb alternative to wheat pasta and wheat spaghetti.
Zoodles = zucchini noodles. They are the most fabulous way to increase vegetables in your and your children’s diet. Zoodles are gluten-free, wheat-free, fresh and incredibly nutritious. And for those of you lucky enough to grow zucchini like wildfire in your garden, they are cheap and easy.
Are you ready to create the ultimate 12-month blueprint for reaching your health & weight loss goals this coming year?
Our free on-demand video training will walk you through how to make 2024 THE year you set health goals…and keep them.
How to make zoodles
I have 2 ways to prepare my zoodles. I use a large spiraliser machine which has suction cups so it sticks to my kitchen worktop. I also have a smaller handheld shredder that I take on holiday/vacation.
I allow my children to use the spiraliser machine as the shredder has incredibly sharp blades and you have to hold the vegetable with a fork so your fingers don’t get shredded too.
Alternatives to zoodles?
Alternatively, you may wish to serve low-carb spaghetti Bolognese with spaghetti squash instead of zoodles. Watch the quick cooking video to learn how to use this incredibly versatile vegetable. There are even instructions for making it in the microwave or oven.
Alternatively, you might want to make my 3-ingredient keto pasta. This keto past is egg-free and doesn’t even require cooking. Just stir through some hot sauce and your dinner is ready.
If your family would prefer more traditional side dishes for beef, then I know you’ll find plenty of inspiration in these 21+ side dish recipes.
What meat do you need for a bolognese sauce?
The traditional spaghetti bolognese recipe requires ground beef, however, it can easily be made with ground pork, ground chicken, or even ground turkey.
More zucchini recipes
There are so many deliciousÂ keto recipes to use zucchiniÂ (that kids will actually eat).Â Zucchini bread,Â chocolate cake,Â baked bacon egg zucchini casserole, and of course,Â low-carb spaghetti bolognese with zoodles.
Low Carb Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced crushed
- 500 g ground/minced beef
- 400 g tinned/canned chopped tomatoes
- selection of fresh or dried Italian herbs – I use the following
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan. gently fry the onion and garlic in oil until softened but not over cooked.
- Add the mince/ground beef and continue to fry stirring continuously to break up the mince/ground beef. Fry until all the meat is cooked and browned.
- Add the herbs, seasoning and tomatoes.
- Stir then simmer for 15 minutes whilst you make the zoodles.
- Serve in a bowl with zoodles and grated cheese or parmesan sprinkled on top.
- The nutrition values are for 1 serving of the spaghetti bolognese and includes 1 cup cooked zoodles.
- If you want to reduce the carbs further, restrict how many tomatoes you add to the recipe
- 1 serving of regular spaghetti Bolognese and 1 cup cooked pasta equates to 56g carbs compared with 13g in low-carb spaghetti Bolognese version with zoodles
More healthy family dinners
- ABC bun less burger – the ultimate healthy fast food
- Beef stroganoff in the slow cooker – easy to prepare in the morning
- Malaysian beef curry – easy meal in the slow cooker
- Lamb kebabs – can be made in the oven, frying pan or bbq
- Paleo Scotch eggs – perfect for dinner or the school lunch box
- Prawn cocktail – so easy and only a few ingredients
- Fat Head pizza – the holy grail of low-carb pizzas
- Spinach and feta pie – 3 options in the recipe
- Fat Head sausage rolls – an absolute winner with the children
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!