Sugar-free Bakewell tarts (almond cupcakes) are a healthy sweet snack without ruining your low-carb plan.
And if you love almonds, you’ll love the almond essence/extract that really gives these healthy cupcakes a real punch of almond flavour.
What are Bakewell tarts?
I lived in the UK for over 13 years and I came to absolutely love Bakewell tarts. If you have never had the pleasure of eating a Bakewell tart, they are a strong almond flavoured almond tart, berry jam (jelly) and sometimes with or without a simple white icing and a cherry on the top.
How to make sugar-free jam
If you would like to add some sugar-free jam/jelly in the centre, I have the solution. My sugar-free berry chia jam recipe.
Are you ready to create the ultimate 12-month blueprint for reaching your health & weight loss goals this coming year?
Our free on-demand video training will walk you through how to make 2024 THE year you set health goals…and keep them.
it only requires a few simple ingredients and there’s no baking required. It’s an easy overnight recipe you can make time and time again and the whole family will love it.
Now before you head for your keyboard and tell me in no uncertain terms that these aren’t true Bakewell tarts, I just wanted to develop a recipe that has the taste of the Bakewell tart that I remembered so fondly.
That lovely strong almond extract/essence flavour, soft centre and very buttery!
More sugar-free baking recipe
When there is a shared morning tea or someone’s birthday why not make some of these other healthy sugar-free baking goodies. They will persuade even the most ardent sugar-lover to ditch the carbs!
Every recipe has no added sugar, grain free, gluten free and low in carbs
- Lemon & blueberry cupcakes – with a cream cheese icing/frosting
- Almond and orange flourless cake – all made in the blender – genius!
- Lemon cupcakes – another easy blender recipe
- Sugar-free flourless chocolate fudge cake
- No-bake chocolate peppermint cheesecake squares – Top Tip, these need to be kept in the fridge
- Keto vanilla frosting
- Keto chocolate buttercream
Baking 101 (tips & charts)
Learn the difference between almond flour vs coconut flour here. Spoiler alert, they cannot be interchanged in a recipe.
Confused about low-carb sweeteners? Read my Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Sweeteners and learn quickly which to use AND which to avoid.
Sugar-free Bakewell tarts recipe (almond cupcakes)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mini-muffin tray
- 220 g butter softened
- 8 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more to taste
- 200 g almond meal/flour
- 2 eggs – medium medium
- 1-2 tsp almond essence/extract depending on your taste
- sliced almonds for decoration
- Mix the softened butter and sweetener together.
- Add the almond flour/meal and mix.
- Add the egg and almond extract. Mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 12 mini cupcake cases. Press a few almond slices into the top of each cupcake before baking.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. When cold, sprinkle with some powdered sweetener.
- Add almond extract to your taste. Some people may find it a very strong flavour. Taste after the addition of the first teaspoon, then add more to your liking.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!