Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that’s perfect for any occasion? Look no further than keto sausage balls!
Made with ground sausage, almond flour, cheese, and spices, these bite-sized treats only have 2.5g net carbs and are packed with flavor.
Whether you’re hosting a party, looking for a tasty snack, or simply trying to eat healthier, this keto sausage ball recipe is sure to satisfy.
I love quick snacks, and this recipe was inspired by my keto meatballs recipe with 3 sauces. So grab some tangy keto bbq sauce or mustard for dipping sauces, and let’s get started!
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Much like traditional sausage balls, ground sausage meat is the star of the show. It provides a savory, meaty flavor that’s perfect for an appetizer.
Unlike traditional recipes, however, there’s no gluten or carb-laden flour! Instead, almond flour and cream cheese serve as the perfect keto diet binding agents, while the cheddar cheese adds extra richness and flavor.
Finally, the baking powder and spices help the sausage balls rise and give them a deliciously seasoned taste.
- Ground Sausage – Look for a high-quality sausage that’s made with real meat and doesn’t contain added sugars or fillers.
- Cream Cheese – is used as a binding agent and helps hold the sausage balls together.
- Almond Flour – a low-carb alternative to regular flour. It’s high in protein, healthy fats, and fiber, and it adds a nutty flavor to the sausage balls.
- Cheddar Cheese – adds richness and flavor to the sausage balls. Be sure to look for cheese that doesn’t contain potatoes or other starches. I used a mild cheddar, but you can opt for a sharp cheddar cheese if you prefer.
- Baking Powder – is added to help the sausage balls rise and become light and fluffy.
- Seasoning – minced garlic, ground mustard, salt, and pepper are used to season the sausage balls and add extra flavor.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Making keto sausage balls is as easy as mixing together all of the ingredients and baking them in the oven.
Plus, the recipe is easy to follow and can be prepared in under 30 minutes!
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C)
In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients together. Next, mix everything together until well combined.
Then, using a tablespoon or small cookie dough scoop, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.
Next, place the balls on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet. You should be able to make 28 balls.
Finally, bake the sausage balls in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and cooked through.
Let the sausage balls cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Hint: After scooping the balls, gently shape them. This will keep your balls light and fluffy. Over-compacting the balls will result in dense sausage balls.
There are a few substitutions that can be made for the ingredients in keto sausage balls. Here are some options:
- Ground Sausage: you can substitute regular sausage with with ground pork, ground chicken, or ground turkey. Just make sure to add some extra seasoning to the mixture to give it a flavorful boost. You can also use breakfast sausage if that’s what you have on hand, but make sure to adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- Almond Flour: if you don’t have almond flour, you can substitute it with other low-carb flour like coconut flour or hazelnut flour. Keep in mind that coconut flour absorbs more liquid than almond flour, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese: you can substitute it with other types of cheese if you prefer. Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, monterey jack, pepper jack cheese, or even blue cheese would all work well in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: use 2 eggs in place of the cream cheese to act as a binding agent.
- Spices: The spices in this recipe can be adjusted to your liking. Omit or adjust as desired.
By making these simple substitutions, you can customize the recipe to your liking and still enjoy a delicious and keto-friendly appetizer.
Bring your sausage balls to the next level. Here are five flavor variations for keto sausage balls that you can try:
- Spicy Sausage Balls: If you like your food with a kick, try adding cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the sausage mixture.
- Italian Sausage Balls: Add some Italian seasoning, sun-dried tomatoes, and chopped olives to the mixture to really enhance the flavors.
- Pizza Sausage Balls: Try adding some pizza-inspired toppings like diced pepperoni, chopped mushrooms, and shredded mozzarella cheese. You can dip them in pizza sauce for extra flavor.
- Bacon Cheddar Sausage Balls: Everything is better with bacon, right? Try adding some crumbled cooked bacon and extra cheddar cheese to the sausage mixture to give the sausage balls a smoky and cheesy flavor.
- Ranch Sausage Balls: Mix in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, and dill for an extra burst of freshness.
See these Easy Keto Chicken Meatballs on my website!
Making keto sausage balls is a simple and straightforward process that doesn’t require any fancy equipment. Here are the kitchen tools you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Mixing Bowl: You’ll need a large mixing bowl to combine all of the ingredients for the sausage balls.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: You’ll need a set of measuring cups and spoons to ensure accurate measurements of the ingredients.
- Baking Sheet: You’ll need a large baking sheet to bake the sausage balls. A rimmed baking sheet is recommended to prevent any oil or grease from spilling over the edges.
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat: To prevent the sausage balls from sticking to the baking sheet, you’ll need to line it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Alternatively, you can also grease the baking sheet with olive oil.
- Mixing Tool: To mix the ingredients together, you can use a fork, a mixing spoon, or your hands.
- Scooping Tool: a tablespoon or a 1-inch cookie scooper can be used to scoop and form the balls. You can also eyeball it if you want.
The equipment needed to make this tasty recipe is minimal and can be found in most kitchens. By having these tools on hand, you’ll be able to whip up a batch of delicious and keto-friendly sausage balls in no time.
To store these sausage balls, you’ll want to ensure that they are properly cooled before placing them in an airtight container. Here are some tips for storing your sausage balls:
- Refrigerator: You can store the balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezer: If you want to keep your sausage balls for longer, you can freeze them for up to three months. After baking the sausage balls, let them cool completely, and then place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for about an hour until the sausage balls are frozen, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. This will prevent the sausage balls from sticking together. When you’re ready to eat them, simply reheat them in the oven.
- Reheating: To reheat sausage balls place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven or toaster oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, but be aware that this may affect their texture. Lastly, you can use an air fryer to reheat.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your keto sausage balls stay fresh and tasty for as long as possible.
Cook the keto sausage balls on the top rack or near the top so that the outside crisps and browns.
If you mix the ingredients for too long, it can cause the fat from the sausage to start to melt, which can make the mixture too greasy and cause it to fall apart. Mix the ingredients just until they are combined and avoid overworking the mixture.
If you left the sausage balls in the oven for too long, they can become overcooked and dry. Be sure to follow the recipe’s recommended baking time and check on the sausage balls periodically to ensure they’re not overcooked.
Also, If the sausage you used is too lean, it may not have enough fat to keep the sausage balls moist. Look for a sausage that is at least 80% lean meat.
Yes, you can make sausage balls ahead of time and reheat them later. In fact, I highly recommend doing this for a meal prep option the whole family will love!
To do this, simply bake the sausage balls as directed in the recipe, allow them to cool completely, and then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can freeze sausage balls either before or after baking, depending on your preference and convenience.
If you choose to freeze them before baking, you can prepare the sausage ball mixture, roll it into balls, and then freeze them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
To know when the sausage balls are done, you should use a meat thermometer to check their internal temperature. The recommended internal temperature for fully cooked sausage is 160°F (71°C). When the sausage balls reach this temperature, they are safe to eat and fully cooked.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with Keto Sausage Balls:
Keto Sausage BallsPrint Pin Rate
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheets – non stick
- Parchment Paper
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded/grated cheese cheddar
- ½ cup almond meal/flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp mustard powder optional
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C)In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients together. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Place the balls on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet. You should be able to make 28 balls.
- Bake the sausage balls in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until they're golden brown and cooked through. Let the sausage balls cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Before publishing, complete this checklist, deleting the list items as you complete them:
- All images have alt tags
- Content is on-topic (minimal or no personal stories)
- You’ve manually linked to related posts in the content (try to do this naturally, not as a separate list of links)
- The “related” recipe block is has a category or primary ingredient set
- The “pairing” section has recipes to be paired with this
- “Food safety” section has irrelevant information removed
- Yoast meta description filled out (best practice)
- The Yoast primary category has been set
- Featured image has been set (1200×1200, JPG)
- Hidden pin has been set
- Check your recipe schema has been fully filled out at https://search.google.com/test/rich-results (after publishing)
- Check https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ to make sure this recipe has enough content above-the-fold to cause images to lazyload (after publishing)
- Clarify any intermediate or advanced cooking techniques – not everybody has your experience and knows how to mash garlic, mince onions, or dice potatoes
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!