Warm up your taste buds with a comforting bowl of Keto White Chicken Chili.
With only 4g net carbs per serving, this creamy white chicken chili recipe can be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
This guilt-free chili recipe is perfect for cozy weeknight dinners or for entertaining guests with a satisfying and low-carb option.
Serve it up over cauliflower rice with your favorite keto-friendly toppings like shredded cheese, avocado slices, or a dollop of sour cream.
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Packed with tender chicken, aromatic spices, and a creamy blend of cream cheese and heavy cream, this keto white chicken chili will warm your soul while keeping you on track with your low-carb goals.
Here’s what you’ll need to whip a batch up:
- Boneless, skinless chicken – Both chicken breast and chicken thighs work well for this chili. Chicken breasts are best for shredded chicken while thighs work best for cubed chicken, so choose what you prefer.
- Olive oil – A light-tasting oil provides a healthy fat base for sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Onion – White or yellow diced onion works best for adding savory and aromatic flavor to the chili.
- Garlic – Peel and mince the garlic yourself or use pre-minced garlic.
- Chopped green chiles – A small can of diced green chiles adds a mild and tangy heat that enhances the overall flavor profile.
- Seasoning – Dried and ground cumin, Mexican oregano, and chili powder are all the seasoning your need. Salt and pepper can be added to taste.
- Chicken broth – Since this forms the flavorful base of the chili, quality matters. The better the quality of the broth, the tastier your chili will be. This is a great opportunity to use homemade chicken bone broth if you have some.
- Cream cheese – Adds a creamy texture to the chili while enhancing the flavor. Be sure to soften the cream cheese first to avoid clumps.
- Heavy cream – This full-fat cream adds richness to the chili, creating a velvety consistency.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Making keto white chicken chili on the stove top takes less than 30 minutes to complete. This is perfect for using leftover chicken or for days when you don’t want to fuss with a slow cooker.
You will want to start by prepping your ingredients.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced chicken and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
In the same pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant. Add the green chilies, cumin, oregano, and chili powder to the pot. Then stir and cook for another minute to allow the flavors to meld.
Next, pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked chicken back into the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
Stir in the softened cream cheese and heavy cream until they are fully incorporated, and the chili has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve the chili hot, garnished with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, and a lime wedge.
Hint: To avoid clumps, add the cream cheese and some hot soup from the pot into a bowl and mix together with a whisk until smooth. Then pour the cream cheese slurry back into the pot and mix.
Slow Cooker Instructions
To make Keto White Chicken Chili in a slow cooker, add all the ingredients except the cream cheese and cream to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Next, cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is tender and cooked through. You can shred the chicken if desired.
In the last hour of cooking, add softened cream cheese and heavy cream to the slow cooker, stirring until well incorporated. Allow the chili to cook for another hour, ensuring the cream cheese melts and the flavors meld.
Need to make some changes to one or more ingredients? Check out our list of recommended substitutions below:
- Onion – Use shallots or green onions (scallions) as alternatives to regular onions. They provide a similar flavor profile while containing fewer carbs.
- Canned green chilies – Fresh or canned jalapeños or poblanos are great low-carb substitutes for canned green chilies. Saute fresh chilies at the same time you saute the onions.
- Chicken broth – Opt for vegetable or even beef broth or make your own.
- Cream cheese – Use sour cream instead of cream cheese.
- Heavy cream – You can substitute heavy cream with full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk for a dairy-free and low-carb alternative.
- Chicken – In a pinch, you can grab a plain rotisserie chicken and shred that meat to add to the chilli.
Keep in mind that any substitutions made with alter the nutritional of the recipe found below. By incorporating these low-carb substitutions, you can customize the recipe to align with your dietary preferences.
Here are five low-carb flavor variations you can try for this Keto White Chicken Chili recipe:
- Smoky Chipotle – Replace the chopped green chilies with diced chipotle peppers and use a small amount of adobo sauce for extra depth of flavor.
- Zesty Lime and Cilantro – Add freshly squeezed lime juice and chopped cilantro. Stir in the lime juice just before serving and garnish each bowl with a generous sprinkle of cilantro.
- Cheesy Bacon – Stir in some shredded cheddar cheese along with the cream cheese. Top each serving with crispy cooked bacon crumbles.
- Calabacitas Chili – Add diced zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, and tomatoes to your chili for a veggie-loaded twist.
See this keto Instant Pot beef chili on my website for a more traditional chili comfort food.
To make Keto White Chicken Chili, you’ll need the following equipment:
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven – A spacious pot or Dutch oven is ideal for cooking chili and allows for easy stirring and simmering.
- Cutting Board and Knife – These basic kitchen tools are necessary for dicing chicken, onion, and garlic.
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula – Use a wooden spoon or spatula for stirring and sautéing the ingredients in the pot.
- Measuring Spoons – Accurate measurements of spices and seasonings are crucial, so a set of measuring spoons is handy to have.
- Can Opener – If using canned green chilies, a can opener will be required to open the cans.
- Slow Cooker (optional) – Follow the slow cooker directions above to cook your chili in the slow cooker.
Using these took will make it convenient to whip up this delicious recipe.
To store keto chicken chili, you will first need to allow the chili to cool to room temperature. Then you can store it by following the below directions:
- Refrigerator – Transfer the chili to an airtight container. Place the container in the refrigerator and store it for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer – To freeze the chili for longer-term storage, transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Make sure to leave some headspace to allow for expansion. Label the container with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- Thawing and Reheating – When you’re ready to enjoy the chili, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator if frozen. Reheat it on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. You can also reheat it in the microwave, using short intervals and stirring in between to ensure even heating. Add a splash of chicken broth or water if needed to adjust the consistency.
Proper storage and reheating will help maintain the flavor and quality of the Keto White Chicken Chili for later enjoyment.
Remember to discard any leftovers that have been left at room temperature for more than 2 hours to ensure food safety.
When reheating the chili, the cream cheese and heavy cream in the chili may slightly separate upon reheating, but it can be easily stirred back together.
Keto white chicken chili is delicious on its own or served over a bed of cauliflower rice (grab the recipe here!) or sauteed vegetables.
Yes! To freeze the chili for longer-term storage, first make sure that it has cooled to room temperature. Then transfer it to a freezer-safe container, leaving some headspace to allow for expansion. Label the container with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with keto white chicken chili:
Keto White Chicken Chili
- dutch oven/large stock pot with lid
- cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1½ lb boneless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz can/tin diced green chilies
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced chicken and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.Add the chopped green chilies, ground cumin, dried oregano, and chili powder to the pot. Stir well to combine and cook for another minute to allow the flavors to meld.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked chicken back into the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese and heavy cream until they are fully incorporated and the chili has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, and a lime wedge.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!