Bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks are a delicious and easy snack that everyone will love.
At only 0.5g net carbs per serving, this mouthwatering snack takes less than 5 minutes to make in an air fryer.
The combination of melted cheese and crispy bacon is irresistible, making this dish perfect for game-day gatherings, parties, or a simple afternoon snack.
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
So grab some cheese sticks, bacon, and toothpicks, and let’s get started!
You only need two ingredients to make this gooey melted cheese and bacon snack…bacon and mozzarella cheese sticks.
- mozzarella cheese sticks – choose a cheese stick with simple ingredients, preferably organic. You will want to give the nutrition label a quick peek to ensure there are no starch-based fillers in them.
- bacon – I recommend regular cut or thick-cut raw bacon. Most store-bought pre-cooked bacon has preservatives that are not low-carb or keto friendly.
Toothpicks are also needed to hold the bacon in place, although as long as you lay the cheese sticks on the seam in the air fryer, you could probably skip the toothpicks.
Tip: you can use your air fryer to cook your bacon before you start!
See the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Before you get started, your cheese sticks and bacon will need a little bit of prep to ensure you don’t wind up with melted cheese all over your air fryer.
Start by tossing your cheese sticks in the freezer for at least an hour.
I usually toss the cheese sticks in the freezer right after buying them so that they are ready to use when needed.
You will want to cook your bacon until it is soft and cooked through. You can do this in the oven, microwave, or stovetop. The bacon will crisp up in the air fryer while cooking.
Cut your frozen cheese sticks in half with a knife. This will give you 12 pieces.
Tightly wrap each cheese stick with a piece of soft cooked bacon. Use a toothpick straight through the cheese stick to hold the bacon in place.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Place the mozzarella stick in the air fryer basket or on the trays. You can cook several cheese sticks at once, just make sure they don’t touch.
Air fry the cheese sticks for 4-5 minutes or until the bacon reaches your desired crispness. The bacon will crisp up, and the frozen cheese will soften and melt. Remove and serve while still hot.
I recommend placing this delicious appetizer on paper towels before serving to absorb some of the grease.
Then, serve your bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks with a side of ranch, easy tangy keto bbq sauce, or keto-friendly marinara sauce.
Don’t forget to remove toothpicks before enjoying!
Hint: Your fried mozzarella sticks will have cheese that melts and spills out of the bacon a bit. This is normal. Freezing the string cheese makes it so they don’t completely melt out of the bacon.
Looking for a substitution for one or more ingredients to fit your tastes? Below you find our recommendations:
- Mozzarella – cheddar or pepper jack cheese sticks are delicious with the bacon as well.
- Bacon – wrap the cheese sticks in slices of ham instead.
Keep in mind that any changes to the ingredients will alter the nutritional facts of this recipe.
Want to spice up your bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks? Here are some variations you can try for bacon-wrapped cheese sticks:
- Jalapeno – place a cheese stick in half of a fresh jalapeno. Wrap with bacon and cook. You can also use jalapeño slices
- Tomato and herb – add a thin slice of tomato and a leaf of fresh basil or another herb. Wrap with bacon and cook.
- Mustard – Brush the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks with mustard before cooking in the air fryer. The mustard will crisp on the bacon while it cooks.
- Brown sweetener glazed – sprinkle the bacon mozzarella stick with brown sweetener right before air frying.
With these variations, you can create endless flavor combinations and enjoy bacon-wrapped cheese sticks in a new way each time!
See this easy tangy bbq sauce recipe on my website for a tasty dip!
You only need a few pieces of equipment to make bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks in the air fryer. To make these cheese sticks you will need:
- air fryer – you can use an air fryer with a basket or you can use an oven-style air fryer.
- toothpicks – wooden toothpicks are used to hold the bacon in place. Do not use plastic toothpicks as they will melt.
- knife – to cut the cheese sticks in half.
There are a few ways to store bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks. They can be stored before or after air frying.
- Leftover cheese sticks can be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cheesesticks can be prepped in advance and stored in the freezer for up to a month. Just pull a couple out and cook them like normal when you are ready to enjoy them. Storing them in the freezer is essential so that your cheese sticks don’t melt everywhere while cooking.
Freeze your cheese sticks before cooking them in the air fryer. This is critical. If you do not, the cheese will melt too quickly and create a big mess.
FAQ about bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks
Yes! It is recommended to freeze the cheese sticks before air frying. Otherwise, the cheese will melt before the bacon crisps and melt out.
Dip your mozzarella cheese sticks in tangy keto bbq sauce, sugar-free marinara sauce, mustard, or even homemade ranch dressing.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Bacon Wrapped Cheese Sticks
- Air Fryer
- cutting board and knife
- 6 cheese sticks freeze for 1 hour
- 12 pieces bacon cooked, but still soft
- Start by tossing your cheese sticks in the freezer for an hour and cook your bacon until it is soft and cooked through. You can do this in the oven, microwave, or stovetop. The bacon will crisp up in the air fryer while cooking.
- Cut your frozen cheese sticks in half with a knife. This will give you 12 pieces.Tightly wrap each cheese stick with a piece of soft cooked bacon. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400° F. Place the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks in the air fryer basket or on the trays. Make sure they don't touch.Air fry the cheese sticks for 4-5 minutes or until the bacon reaches your desired crispness. The bacon will crisp up and the frozen cheese will soften and melt. Remove and serve while still hot.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!