The great thing with making homemade ketchup with hidden vegetables, is that there is no sugar, no wheat, no grains, no HFCS, no additives, no preservatives and the best thing? You can hide all the veggies you like inside, and no-one can tell.
Watch and see how easy it is to make homemade ketchup with hidden vegetables – what would you hide?
Homemade Ketchup With Hidden Vegetables
If you need to be shocked into giving up store bought ketchup, check out this post which is the Ultimate Guide To Carbs In Sauces. It may help you to ditch the ketchup once and for all.
Are you ready to create the ultimate 12-month blueprint for reaching your health & weight loss goals this coming year?
Our free on-demand video training will walk you through how to make 2024 THE year you set health goals…and keep them.
I call this homemade ketchup with hidden vegetables, but really it’s a tomato sauce or a marinara sauce that can be used for topping anything. Serve it warm on tuscan meatballs, two cheese pesto chicken, or bacon wrapped meatloaf.
While cooking the sauce, add grated/shredded vegetables which will disappear when cooked, and once blended with a stick blender you can’t even tell they are there. This is just another way to get a greater variety of veggies into your children.
Store bought ketchup contains a whopping 25% sugar. So for every one tablespoon of ketchup, you are actually giving your children a 4g spoon of sugar! And most children I know can’t stop at 15ml tablespoon. They drizzle it all over their food, and then go back for seconds.
This homemade ketchup with hidden vegetables is packed with nutrition. You can be happy serving them this homemade ketchup, knowing what went into it, and more importantly, what didn’t!
Homemade ketchup recipe (with hidden vegetables)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1 or 2 cloves for an authentic ketchup flavour
- 800 g tinned/canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp white vinegar I used apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste check it is sugar free
- 1 carrots
- 2 grated/shredded zucchini
- add more extra virgin olive oil during cooking
- Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft but not browned.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the cooking add more extra virgin olive oil, which improves the texture and taste.
- Remove from the heat and puree with a stick blender using a blade attachment. The smoother you can make the homemade ketchup, the more appealing it is.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!