Are you ready for the most delicious tasty spicy low-carb Mexican chicken burgers that can be ready in 15 minutes, start to finish? The perfect low carb, keto, grain-free, healthy family meal.
There’s even a quick recipe for you to make super-fast homemade avocado salsa to serve alongside your chicken burger.
“These are the best burgers ever,” said my 10-year-old last night. These are yummy and quick enough to satisfy anyone’s takeaway craving.
How many carbs are there in a Mexican burger
There are very few carbs in a bunless (naked) burger. There is no bun, no french fries, and no sugary soda drinks.
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Most of the carbs come from the onion and the garlic. Both are optional flavors so you may omit them to reduce the carbs even further. If you do not use them, you may wish to add more spices such as chili powder, cumin, or coriander.
Or you can make your own homemade keto taco seasoning mix.
When you decide to live wheat-free and no longer have burger buns, you can actually taste the meat and fillings inside a bunless burger. The subtle flavors and spices are no longer lost in the starchy bread.
- Minced/ground chicken – the perfect mild meat that works perfectly for a Mexican burger. Minced/ground turkey or beef will also work.
- Red onion – finely sliced or diced
- Garlic – fresh is best, but dried will lower the carb content
- Chilli – add more or less to your taste
- Paprika – this adds a wonderful smoky, chipotle like taste. Add more or less to your taste
- Cumin – add more or less to your taste
- Coriander/cilantro – add more or less to your taste
- Egg – this helps bind everythign together so the burger won’t fall apart when flipping them. If you have an egg allergy, you may omit this but it may fall apart.
Alternatively, you can use my quick and easy homemade keto taco seasoning mix recipe.
Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Either using wet hands or a burger press, press firmly to form burger shapes. The recipe makes 6 medium-sized Mexican burgers.
How to cook in a frying pan
Heat the skillet or frying pan to medium-high heat. Add your preferred cooking oil and fry for 5 minutes and until browned on one side. Gently flip your burger using tongs or a spatula. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the burgers are cooked on both sides and it is cooked right into the center.
How to use an air fryer to cook burgers
Using an air fryer to cook burgers makes for a quick and easy family dinner. You don’t have to stand by the frying pan flippin’ burgers and you avoid oil from splattering all over your shirt.
An air fryer helps to cook the burgers from both sides, however, they will only brown on the top uppermost side. So you still need to flip your burgers halfway through to get a lovely browned traditional burger taste and look.
- Preheat to 190C/375F.
- Spray the wire basket with cooking oil.
- Gently place each burger into the oiled basket. Ensure there is plenty of space between them.
- Cook for 5 minutes, open the drawer and turn each piece.
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of burgers being cooked. Chicken must be completely cooked into the centre of each piece.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
How do you know when burgers are cooked?
You must always cook raw chicken meat thoroughly with no visible signs of blood, raw juice, or uncooked meat.
You can test the meat using the following methods:
- Use a meat thermometer
- Press the centre and it should be firm
- Press the burger flat against the frying pan to see if any juices that are released are clear
- Cut one burger in half to see any visible raw meat, and you cannot see any signs of pink raw meat
What to serve with bunless burgers
The easiest way to serve Mexican Chicken Burgers is on a large slice of capsicum, then begin to layer with a slice of tomato, avocado salsa, ending finally with cream cheese. You can place another slice of capsicum on top.
Without the bread bun, it means these low-carb Mexican chicken burgers are light and healthy, not leaving you full and bloated afterward.
Throw as much chili in as you can handle. If your children don’t like them spicy, make them mild then spice yours up with tabasco sauce. Make them fiery for those who like it hot.
I like to place some small dishes on the dining table with sliced capsicum, tomatoes, cream cheese, and avocado salsa so everyone can fully load their salads with extras. Drizzle the salad with chili-infused olive oil.
More keto Mexican recipes
- Keto cheese taco shells
- Libby’s 3-ingredients keto tortillas
- Copycat keto taco bell
- Low-carb avocado salsa (chunky guacamole)
- 21 easy low-carb keto chicken recipes
- What to serve with chicken (the best low-carb side dishes)
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!