With only 2.9g net carbs per serving, this slow cooker recipe is guaranteed to become a comfort food sensation at your dinner table.
Enjoy this keto crack chicken recipe as a standalone main dish, stuff it into low-carb tortillas for flavorful wraps, or use it as a topping for salads for a quick and easy meal prep lunch!
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Crack chicken is made up of tender shredded chicken infused with creamy, cheesy goodness, crumbled bacon, and aromatic seasonings.
There’s no need to add chicken broth to this recipe since the chicken will release enough juice to make a delicious and smooth cheese sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need to have on hand to make this addictive dish!
- Chicken breasts – Tender and juicy boneless skinless chicken breasts provide the protein base for this dish. You can use bone-in or even chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – Softened cream cheese lends its rich and creamy texture to create an addictive sauce for the chicken.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – The sharp and tangy flavor of cheddar cheese makes most dishes better.
- Bacon – Crispy and savory crumbled bacon gives your meal bursts of smoky flavor.
- Green onions – Fresh green onions provide a mild onion flavor and a pop of color to the dish.
- Ranch seasoning – no store-bought ranch seasoning here. Instead, use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill to give you that ranch flavor.
- Salt and pepper – use to enhance the flavors and season the chicken.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Keto crack chicken only takes about 5 minutes to prep. After it is prepped you can set and forget it for a few hours.
Start by chopping and cooking your bacon in a skillet over high heat until it is golden brown. I like to use my kitchen shears to cut the bacon directly into the pan.
Next, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and cream cheese together in a small bowl to make a seasoned cheese sauce.
Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions over the chicken.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked and tender. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using two forks directly in the slow cooker. Mix the shredded chicken with the creamy sauce.
Finally, sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions over the shredded cooked chicken.
Then, cover and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve the crack chicken hot over a bed of lettuce or a side of roasted vegetables.
Hint: Before shredding the chicken, check to see how much liquid the chicken released while cooking. If it released more than a 1/2 cup broth you will want to drain some of the broth before shredding and mixing to ensure your sauce isn’t runny.
Want to make keto crack chicken but need to replace one or more ingredients? Check out the list below of recommended substitutions.
- Chicken breasts – You can substitute chicken breasts with boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a richer flavor and higher fat content. You can also use lean cuts of pork or turkey as well.
- Cream cheese – Opt for Greek yogurt or sour cream for a lighter option. If using yogurt you will want to stir it in after the chicken has cooked to avoid curdling from the heat.
- Cheddar cheese – Use mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or a blend of low-carb cheese varieties to maintain the creamy and cheesy texture.
- Bacon – Look for bacon that is free from added sugars or nitrates, or use turkey bacon as a leaner alternative.
- Green onions – Replace green onions with chopped chives or diced shallots to add a mild onion flavor.
- Garlic Power – Use granulated garlic instead or chopped chives for a garlic-like flavor without the garlic.
- Onion powder – Substitute with dried minced onions or onion flakes for a similar flavor profile.
- Dried dill weed – Fresh dill can be used as a substitute.
By making these low-carb ingredient swaps, you can customize the recipe to fit your dietary needs while still enjoying the delicious flavors of Keto Crack Chicken.
Looking to give this meal even more flare? Here are four low-carb flavor variations to try with the keto crack chicken recipe:
- Spicy Southwest – Add a kick to your crack chicken by incorporating diced green chilies, a sprinkle of cumin, chili powder, and a dash of hot sauce for a zesty Tex-Mex flavor.
- Mediterranean – Infuse your chicken with Mediterranean flavors by stirring in chopped sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, crumbled feta cheese, and a sprinkle of dried oregano and lemon zest for a burst of freshness.
- Bacon JalapeÃ±o Popper – Elevate the flavor with the combination of crumbled bacon, diced jalapeÃ±os (seeded for less heat if desired), and a generous sprinkle of shredded pepper jack cheese for a spicy and cheesy indulgence.
- Lemon Herb – For a bright and refreshing twist, squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon over the crack chicken, then stir in chopped fresh herbs like parsley, basil, and thyme. The citrusy tang and herbal aroma will give the dish a fresh summer flavor.
See this Cheese Keto Chicken Casserole on my website for more cheesy chicken meals!
To make the Keto Crack Chicken recipe, you will need the following equipment:
- Slow Cooker – A slow cooker is essential for this recipe as it allows for long, slow cooking to develop flavors and tenderize the chicken. You can even use the slow cooker function on your Instant Pot of pressure cooker if you have one.
- Skillet or Frying Pan – A skillet or frying pan is needed to cook the bacon.
- Small Bowl – A mixing bowl is needed to mix the cheese sauce together.
- Utensils – You will need forks for shredding the chicken once it is cooked. A spoon can be used to mix the cream cheese mixture and spread it over the chicken.
Make sure you have this equipment on hand to ensure a smooth cooking process.
If you have any Keto Crack Chicken leftovers, be sure to follow the below guidelines for storage. Properly stored crack chicken is an excellent option for prepped lunches throughout the week.
- Refrigerator – Allow the cooked crack chicken to cool completely before storing. Transfer it to an airtight container. Then, store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer – If you want to freeze the crack chicken for longer-term storage, make sure it is cooled down first. Then, place it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Label the container with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- Thawing – When ready to use the frozen crack chicken, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can thaw it in the microwave using the defrost setting or in a saucepan over low heat.
- Reheating – To reheat the crack chicken, you can use the microwave, stovetop, or oven. In the microwave, heat it in short intervals, stirring occasionally until heated through. On the stovetop, warm it gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. In the oven, transfer it to an oven-safe dish and heat at a low temperature until warmed to your liking.
Remember, when reheating the crack chicken, you may need to add a splash of chicken broth or water to prevent it from drying out.
Save yourself some time by using an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken when it is done cooking.
The term u0022crack chickenu0022 is often used to describe this recipe due to its addictive nature, where the combination of creamy cheese, bacon, and savory seasonings creates an irresistible flavor combination that keeps people coming back for more.
To make crack chicken seasoning, combine a blend of spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill weed, salt, and black pepper.
Adjust the quantities to your taste preferences, mix well, and use it to season the chicken or incorporate it into the cream cheese mixture for added flavor.
Crack chicken can become watery if there is an excess of liquid released from the chicken during cooking. To prevent this, make sure to drain some of the liquid before shredding the chicken if it looks like it is more than 1/2 cup.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Keto Crack Chicken
- slow cooker
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 stalks green onions chopped
- +/- salt and pepper
Cream Cheese Sauce
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
- Start by chopping and cooking your bacon in a skillet over high heat until it is golden brown. Remove it from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Next, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and cream cheese together in a small bowl to make a seasoned cheese sauce.
- Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the cream cheese sauce over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions over the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked and tender. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using two forks directly in the slow cooker. Mix the shredded chicken with the creamy sauce.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions over the shredded cooked chicken. Cover and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve the crack chicken hot over a bed of lettuce or a side of roasted vegetables.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 Â°F (74 Â°C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!