Sip and indulge in rich and creamy keto hot chocolate. This velvety drink will become your favorite winter drink on cold days.
Did you know that the first-ever edible chocolate was basically melted chocolate in a cup? We’ve come a long way since then, but drinking hot cocoa is still one of the most luxurious and enjoyable things to do.
This low-carb hot cocoa recipe is richer, creamier and tastes ten times better than a packet of Swiss Miss! It tastes better because it’s made with heavy whipping cream and unsweetened cocoa powder. In fact, it’s just as rich and delightful as our chocolate peanut butter bites.
If you make this recipe and love it, please rate it 5 stars in the recipe card. 🌟
Why You’ll Love It
- Easy to customize
- Frothy and creamy
- High Fat
- The perfect hot winter drink
Keto Hot Chocolate Tips
Even though this is a super-simple drink, here are a few tips that will help you make it perfectly, every single time.
Add Peppermint Essential Oil
Turn this into a cup of peppermint hot cocoa. Add 1-2 drops of Peppermint Vitality Essential Oil and omit the cinnamon. This will give it a wonderful kick!
Make Sugar-Free Whipped Cream
Making homemade whipped cream is super simple. Just mix 1 cup of heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of Monk Fruit Sweetener and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat that mixture on high until it turns light and airy.
Buying sugar-free whipped cream from the store is problematic since most kinds contain sucralose. Honestly, it’s just so easy to make your own at home that we suggest going that route.
Stir With A Cinnamon Stick
It’s a lovely way to garnish the hot cocoa and gives your drink more flavor, naturally.
Here’s what you’ll need from the store before you make this recipe. Read through the list of ingredients below (we will also share any swaps/substitutions you can make).
- Almond Milk: Use unsweetened almond milk. If you use unsweetened coconut milk instead, you’ll have to recalculate the macros, but it can work.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This is what adds healthy fats and creaminess to the drink.
- Cocoa Powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder. Dark cocoa powder is another fantastic choice.
- Sugar-free Granular Sweetener: Check out this sweeteners guide for information about the types we recommend.
- Collagen Powder: Unflavored collagen powder is optional, but it adds essential healthy fats to the cocoa and makes it thicker and creamier.
How To Make Keto Hot Chocolate
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, we have some photos of each step in this recipe so you can see how we made it (this is for you, visual learners). Here’s what the recipe looks like when you make it.
Step 1: Simmer milk and cream. On the stove slowly warm the almond milk and cream together until simmering.
Step 2: Add dry ingredients. Add the cocoa powder, sweetener and collagen powder and whisk until completely combined.
Step 3: Froth the cocoa. Use a milk frother to mix them together and make it extra light and creamy.
Step 4: Pour and garnish. Pour into your favorite mug and top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon!
This recipe gives you just enough for one mug of hot chocolate. You won’t have leftovers.
🌟 If you make this recipe and LOVE it, please leave a 5-star review below! 🌟
Keto Hot Chocolate
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Milk Frother
- 6 oz. Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp. Sugar-free Granular Sweetener
- 2 scoops Collagen Powder optional
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream
- On the stove slowly warm the almond milk and cream together until simmering.
- Add the cocoa powder, sweetener and collagen powder and whisk until completely combined.
- Use a milk frother to mix them together and make it extra light and creamy.
- Pour into your favorite mug.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon!
PIN FOR LATER
READY TO GET HEALTHY IN 2023?
Join the New Year, New You Challenge NOW and make 2023 your healthiest year yet! The challenge officially starts January 2nd—sign up now to save your spot!