These low-carb grilled chicken sandwiches put fast-food chicken sandwiches to shame! The secret is the tomato basil mayo dressing.
Sink your teeth into the juiciest grilled chicken sandwiches you’ve ever tasted! Marinated chicken, high-protein rolls and zesty tomato basil dressing all work together to make an unforgettable and delicious lunch.
In fact, you can make this ahead of time and eat it for lunch later on in the week! It tastes delicious with some hot spinach artichoke dip and cheese crackers. If it’s really cold outside, make a soup and sandwich dinner and serve this with a bowl of Italian sausage soup.
If you make this recipe and love it, please rate it 5 stars in the recipe card. 🌟
Why You’ll Love It
- Versatile – eat the chicken without the rolls!
- Only 3 grams carbs per sandwich
- Perfect for meal prep
- High-protein—83 grams in each sandwich
- Reuse the tomato basil mayo as a dip or topping for burgers
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Tips
If you have ever marinated and grilled chicken before, then you’ll discover that this recipe is just as easy and effortless!
Slice the chicken breasts thin
The thinner the chicken breasts are, the quicker they will grill. It’s also a lot easier to eat thinly sliced chicken breast on a sandwich than a big, thick piece.
Give the chicken time to marinate
Let the chicken marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. It’s best to let it marinate overnight if you can remember. The longer it marinates, the more flavors the chicken will soak up.
Make magic protein rolls ahead
It’s best to make our magic protein rolls at home instead of buying low-carb rolls from the store. Food producers often use shady tactics to make their products appear lower in carbs. It’s best to make things at home so you know what’s in them and exactly how many carbs they have.
Here’s what you’ll need from the store before you make this recipe. Read through the list of ingredients below (we will also share any swaps/substitutions you can make).
- Lemon: For the boldest, freshest flavors, juice a fresh lemon at home.
- Olive Oil: This is for the marinade. You can use avocado oil instead.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic will taste better than garlic powder, but you can use a teaspoon of garlic powder as a replacement.
- Ketchup: Always use sugar-free ketchup without any sugar substitutes in it.
- Steak Seasoning: Jarred seasoning is so easy, but you can make your own with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, rosemary and thyme.
- Pepper: Use both black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Parsley: Usually fresh parsley in best, but when you make marinades, dried parsley reacts better to the marinating process.
- Chicken Breasts: You’ll need abut 4 sandwich-sized breasts.
- Fresh Arugula: This is a topping on the sandwich.
- Rolls: Make Magic Protein Rolls ahead of time.
Tomato Basil Mayo
- Mayonnaise: Either make your own at home or use your favorite store-bought kind.
- Grape Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes can work too, just make sure they are finely chopped.
- Fresh Basil leaves: Don’t use dried basil; it won’t have the same aroma.
- Salt and Pepper: Just add enough to enhance the flavors in the mayo.
How To Make Low-Carb Grilled Chicken Sandiwches
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, we have some photos of each step in this recipe so you can see how we made it (this is for you, visual learners). Here’s what the recipe looks like when you make it.
Step 1: Mix the Marinade. Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl.
Step 2: Marinate the Chicken. Let the chicken marinate in the sauce for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Make the mayo. While the chicken is marinating, mix together the ingredients for the mayo dressing.
Step 4: Grill the chicken. Grill the marinated chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Step 5: Serve the sandwiches. Serve the grilled chicken on Magic Protein Rolls with arugula and tomato basil mayo.
Store leftover grilled chicken in an airtight food storage container or bag in the refrigerator for up to three days.
🌟 If you make this recipe and LOVE it, please leave a 5-star review below! 🌟
Low-Carb Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 indoor grill
- 1 Lemon juiced
- ½ c. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- ¼ c. Sugar-Free Ketchup
- 1 tsp. Steak Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- ⅛ tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Freeze-Dried Parsley
- 2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 4 sandwich-sized breasts
- Fresh Arugula
- 4 Magic Protein Rolls
Tomato Basil Mayo
- ½ c. Mayonnaise
- 6 Grape Tomatoes finely chopped
- 8 Fresh Basil Leaves finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, ketchup, steak seasoning, black pepper, red pepper and parsley.
- Add chicken to a 1-gallon freezer bag. Reserve a small quantity of marinade for basting, if desired, then pour marinade over chicken. Marinate chicken in the bag for at least 30 minutes or overnight or press out air from the bag and freeze.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Thaw if frozen. Grill 7-8 minutes per side, basting with additional marinade, if desired, until internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Alternatively, place chicken in a casserole dish and bake at 400ºF for 30-40 minutes, until temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Serve chicken on a magic hamburger roll with arugula and tomato basil mayo.
PIN FOR LATER
READY TO GET HEALTHY IN 2023?
Join the New Year, New You Challenge NOW and make 2023 your healthiest year yet! The challenge officially starts January 2nd—sign up now to save your spot!