Nut-Free Crust Alternative
If you or someone else would love to try these caramel slices but are allergic to nuts try making the crust with our homemade coconut flour pie crust instead.
How to make keto caramel
The sugar-free caramel should be made while the crust is cooking in the oven.
To make the caramel, you will want to melt your butter and preferred brown sugar-free sweetener together on high heat in a skillet.
Once the brown sweetener is completely dissolved, slowly pour your heavy cream into the caramel while continuously stirring. The caramel will bubble up while you are pouring in the cream but will settle down as your stir.
Are you ready to create the ultimate 12-month blueprint for reaching your health & weight loss goals this coming year?
Our free on-demand video training will walk you through how to make 2024 THE year you set health goals…and keep them.
Continue to gently stir your caramel on high heat until it thickens and slides off your utensil, about 15-20 minutes. Once the caramel has thickened, remove the caramel from the heat.
Mix in the vanilla and a pinch of salt before letting the caramel cool for about 10 minutes.
After the caramel has cooled, pour it over your crust, and spread it out with the back of a spoon.
Next, place the whole baking pan in the refrigerator to allow your caramel to chill for at least 10 minutes.
How to make the keto melted chocolate
After your creamy keto caramel has chilled, you will make the keto chocolate topping. Before you begin, the caramel needs to be firm enough that you can spread the melted chocolate on top,
To make the chocolate topping, add your dark sugar-free chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl or cup and melt in the microwave.
You will want to melt the chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until the chocolate is smooth. My microwave melted the chocolate perfectly in 1 minute.
If you do not have a microwave you can melt the chocolate in a saucepan on the stove over low heat or use a double boiler. Once the sugar-free chocolate is melted, pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread it out gently.
Your caramel slices will need to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before they are ready to cut.
How to store caramel
To cut the caramel slices, use the parchment paper, and lift your keto dessert out of the pan. Then cut the caramels into 16 squares. Next, cut each square in half to make 32 rectangular pieces.
To easily cut the slices, run your knife under hot water to heat it. This will make the knife slide through the chocolate and caramel without sticking.
The caramel slices squares be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 7-14 days.
These sugar-free caramel slices are perfect if you are looking for a small treat to grab to satisfy your sweet tooth craving.
The caramel slices can also be individually wrapped in parchment paper then arranged in a container to give as a lovely homemade gift for birthdays or holidays.
Update: We created a new sugar-free keto caramel sauce that you can drizzle on top too!
More keto candy recipes
- Keto peanut butter fudge (3 ingredients)
- Sugar-free gummies (no maltitol)
- Salted peanut butter cups
- Sugar-free keto marshmallows
Keto Caramel Slice Recipe
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Frying pan
Almond Flour Base
- 150 g almond meal/flour
- 55 g butter
- 4 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more to your taste
- +/- salt and pepper
- 250 ml heavy whipping cream
- 250 g butter
- 35 g brown sweetener of choice or more to your taste
- +/- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g 90% dark chocolate or sugar-free chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
Almond Flour Crust
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a square baking pan with parchment paper. Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl.
- Spread the almond meal/flour mixture around the bottom of your baking dish. Use the palm of your hand to firmly press the crust flat into the pan. Bake the crust 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a skillet melt together the butter and brown sweetener. Continuously stir the butter and sweetener until all the sweetener is completely melted.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into the melted butter and sweetener while still stirring. The caramel will bubble for a bit while the cream is being poured in. Continue to stir the caramel on medium heat until it thickens and slides off your utensil, about 15-20 minutes.
- Do not step away for a second, you need to stir the caramel continuously so the sugar-free caramel thickens, but does not burn.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and mix in the vanilla and salt. Let the caramel cool 5-10 minutes before pouring over your almond flour crust and spreading the caramel out. Place your baking pan in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to allow the caramel to harden.
- TOP TIP: Continue to stir after you remove the caramel from the heat. It will help prevent the butter and caramel from separating. If your caramel does split, continue to stir as the butter cools and the butter begins to solidify again, it will go back to being caramel.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave the chocolate in 30-second increments until the chocolate is completely melted. Be sure to stir the chocolate in between. If you do not have a microwave you can melt the chocolate in a saucepan on low heat.
- Once the chocolate is melted pour it over your caramel and spread out with a spoon. Refrigerate your keto caramel slice for at least an hour to harden. Your caramels can also be placed in the freezer for 20 minutes to speed up the process.
Cutting and Storing
- To cut the caramels lift the caramels from the pan using the edges of the parchment paper. To easily cut the caramels run a knife under hot water and then cut the caramels into 32 pieces. Caramels slices should be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month in an air tight container. Caramels can also be individually wrapped in parchment paper to be given as a gift.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!