Whether you are hosting a crowd for brunch or just want a delicious way to start the day, this keto breakfast casserole is a winner every single time. Think of this sweet and savory casserole as an elevated, guilt-free version of the McGriddle!
Weekday mornings can be pretty hectic in our home, but on the weekends, I often like to surprise my family with a big homemade breakfast. This keto-friendly sweet and savory breakfast casserole tastes like it took way more effort than it actually does.
Plus, it’s so delicious that your family will never guess that it’s low in carbs!
If you—like me—are always torn between sweet and savory breakfast treats, this is the perfect low-carb breakfast for you.
Ready to lose weight and get healthy for life without dieting, drugs or making yourself miserable?
Our free on demand video training will help you understand why it’s been so hard and what do to about it.
Whipping up this homemade breakfast only requires a few ingredients, many of which you probably already have stocked at home!
- breakfast sausage —be sure to check carb count, and look for a variety with no added sugar
- almond flour —this is a powerhouse keto flour. For best results, use almond flour instead of almond meal.
- baking powder
- brown sugar substitute—I recommend a keto-friendly sweetener such as Swerve or monkfruit.
- vanilla extract
- melted butter
- sugar-free maple syrup—I use Wholesome Yum
Find the exact quantities in the recipe card below.
You’ll be amazed at how quickly this delicious morning meal comes together!
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350ÂºF. Meanwhile, grease a 9″x13″ casserole dish.
STEP 2: Next, brown sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling the sausage with a spoon or spatula as it cooks. Use a paper towel to soak up excess grease, then set aside.
STEP 3: Add the remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth. This will take about 1 minute.
STEP 4: Next, spread the cooked sausage across the bottom of the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Then, pour the batter over the sausage.
STEP 5: Bake for 22-27 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
STEP 6: Finally, slice and serve with additional syrup or scrambled eggs, if desired. Enjoy!
Want to change it up a bit? Here are a few ideas:
- Bacon casserole: instead of sausage, cook bacon and crumble it at the bottom of your dish.
- Sweet heat: experiment with different types of sausage. If you like a kick, I suggest using Italian hot sausage!
- Make it mini: instead of making this as a keto breakfast casserole, try making individual muffins. Lower the temperature to 325ÂºF, and shorten the baking time to about 13-15 minutes, depending on your oven.
If you manage to have any leftovers, place them in the fridge where they will keep for 2-3 days.
This casserole also makes a great make-ahead meal or freezer dish. Simply follow the directions above, then let the casserole cool down. Wrap the dish in cling wrap then aluminum foil.
More Breakfast Ideas with Sausage
SWEET & SAVORY BREAKFAST CASSEROLEPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage be sure to check carb count!
- 2 c. almond flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar substitute sweetener Swerve or monkfruit
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp. butter melted
- 4 tbsp. sugar-free maple syrup we recommend Wholesome Yum
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF; grease 9"x13" casserole dish. Brown sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling the sausage with a spoon or spatula as it cooks.
- Use a paper towel to soak up excess grease, then set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl and beat with mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Spread cooked sausage across bottom of prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Pour batter over sausage.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Slice and serve with additional syrup or scrambled eggs, if desired.
Get our FREE guide to finally fix your metabolism!
Losing weight & getting healthy is never easy, but lately you might feel like it’s suddenly become impossible.
Our Flip the Switch guide will help you clearly understand what’s been going on, as well as exactly what you can do to get your metabolism working again so that you can look and feel your best—it’s easier and more simple than you think!